Wednesday, January 26, 2011

where have you been all of my life?


I'm not really sure when I started being more interested in eating healthier and more varied foods. A few years ago, I guess. And in the last few months I've been reading a bunch of foodie blogs (see which ones on the right). But what set off this foodie tendency in me is a kale/banana/mango smoothie eaten at Strawberry Fields in Phoenixville, PA. Why didn't I know about kale before? It's my new favorite vegetable. Think of it like spinach, but with more flavor.

I went home from the smoothie-eating experience and decided that I, too, could make smoothies with kale. The first one was so-so, but the second attempt... YUM! The secret, for anyone who wants to try, is to blanch the kale first.

Without further ado, the smoothie:

Ingredients:
- kale, probably about 1/2 c. after blanched, which is maybe 2 cups raw
- 1/4 c. of juice (I used v8 pomegranate + green tea)
- 1/4 c. of mango sorbet
- 3 clementines, peeled
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/2 c. frozen papaya chunks
- 3.5 oz Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. flax seeds (optional)
(or really, whatever you have on hand. I just happen to know that this combination is a winner.)

Directions:
Blanch the kale. (Here is how to blanch it... and what to do with the leftovers)
Add all ingredients to the blender and blend for a loooong time.

Makes 2 normal servings or 1 big, delicious smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment