Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pumpkin Bagels

I'm addicted to Pinterest. The good news is that the time I waste on there actually serves a purpose: I'm more creative with dinner than I would otherwise be and it seems to be giving me a bit more confidence in the kitchen. I'm finding myself less worried about sticking to recipes and more able to improvise with what I already have.

If you're not familiar with Pinterest, it's basically a virtual cork board where you pin images. You can create multiple boards so, for example, I have a board where I pin recipes, one where I pin organization ideas, another where I pin baby-related information, etc. You create your own system that works for you. Most images are linked to a website so when I pin the picture of a dish I want to try, I make sure the pin is linked to the recipe for that dish.

One recipe that I stumbled upon and want to share is for Homemade Pumpkin Spice Bagels.

Here is the pin on my board:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/264727284321945431/

Here is the recipe:
http://www.thelilypadcottage.com/2013/09/pumpkin-spice-bagel-recipe.html

And here is my final result:

They were delicious and not hard to make. My dough was pretty sticky so I had a hard time creating the bagel shapes, but I wrote to the original poster about it and she suggested adding more flour. Next time I'll do that. I had to add flour to handle the dough so it probably ended up soaking some of it up. I only added the topping to 4 of the bagels - I felt that they were sweet enough already. I will definitely make these again. They taste bagel-store worthy and make a big batch so they're worth the effort and mess. If you're intimidated by making bagels, fear not. All it really entails is making the dough, letting it rise, then dividing it up into equal parts and shaping the bagels. Shaping the bagels is the hardest part in my opinion. My later ones looked better than the first ones, so the learning curve is short. Then you let them rise for a bit, boil them in water for one minute, and bake for 10 minutes. The boiling part ensures that you have a nice crust on your bagel. And it works! They were so good that I had to immediately cut them in half and freeze them or I would have been liable to eat 5 in a row. I'm not kidding. That good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment